Join our committed team of animal lovers!
Thank you for your interest in employment at Heartland Animal Shelter! When we have job openings they are listed below. If no employment opportunities are listed, we can always use dedicated volunteers!
Heartland Animal Shelter is seeking a part-time TNR Coordinator to join our team! This is a temporary position for the period of 12 months.
Duties will include responding to telephone calls and emails about free-roaming cats, providing resources and support to the public, performing TNR (including trapping, scheduling surgical appointments, transporting to and from appointments, etc.), submitting required paperwork to Cook County, tracking detailed program data, and building and training a TNR volunteer team.
This is primarily an offsite position. The TNR Coordinator will report to the shelter in Northbrook but will spend most of their time in the field or transporting cats, as far as Chicago.
Applicants must have extensive experience with TNR, a valid Illinois drivers license and clean driving record. The ideal candidate will be highly organized, able to work independently, and have exceptional communication skills.
To be considered for these roles, please email résumé and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications submitted without both of these items will not be considered. No phone calls, please.
Heartland Animal Shelter is seeking a progressive, innovative, passionate animal sheltering leader to serve as Executive Director. This established professional will lead a dedicated team and oversee the operations at our no-kill, non-profit animal shelter located just 30 minutes outside of Chicago in Northbrook, Illinois. Heartland Animal Shelter serves almost 1,000 animals each year in its mission to end pet homelessness and euthanasia and is looking for a dynamic, driven individual with a shared vision for the future of the organization.
The Executive Director is expected to:
- Lead and direct the staff in all aspects, holding 10-15 direct reports
- Support management in leading over active 200 volunteers
- Oversee all daily processes and operations
- Monitor and improve visitor experience
- Develop and maintain the organization’s annual budget
- Establish and evaluate key performance indicators to ensure the organization’s progress
- Cultivate and build strong business partnerships
- Establish and coordinate community education and support programs
- Support and expand outreach programs
- Chair shelter events and fundraisers
- Uphold the organization’s three-year strategic plan and existing policies
- Support the Director of Mission Advancement in development and marketing initiatives
- Work in collaboration with the Director of Mission Advancement on long-term shelter objectives and planning
- Be equally invested in achieving positive outcomes for both cats and dogs
- Act as the primary contact and representative for Heartland Animal Shelter
- Be kind to both animals and people and have excellent relationship skills
- Value collaboration and respect for others’ ideas
- Have exceptional fiscal discipline and a background in non-profit budget development and management
- Have demonstrated fundraising success
- Be talented at empowering a team to achieve strategic goals
- Have proven experience in establishing and using key performance indicators
- Excel at decision-making under high-pressure, stressful circumstances
- Have the ability to maintain a positive, supportive attitude at all times
- Have excellent written and oral communication skills, including public speaking
- Have a clear understanding of and be in alignment with the national no-kill movement
The ideal candidate should:
- Have at least three years of work experience with a non-profit animal shelter at the management level or higher
- Have at least three years of work experience at any non-profit organization at the director level AND at least one year of work experience at an animal shelter
Heartland Animal Shelter provides available benefits including paid time off and health insurance. This is a full-time position which may include evenings, weekends and holidays.
To be considered for this role, please email résumé, cover letter and salary requirements to: email@example.com. Applications submitted without all of these items will not be considered. No phone calls, please.
Veterinary Assistants and Technicians:
Heartland Animal Shelter is seeking part-time veterinary assistants and technicians to join our medical team!
Duties include evaluating the medical conditions of our resident dogs and cats and prescribing appropriate medication and treatment plans, administering medications and vaccinations, obtaining samples and running diagnostic tests, and responding to medical emergencies.
While experienced veterinary assistants and technicians are preferred for these roles, we are willing to train the right candidate. Some professional experience working with both dogs and cats is required. Applicants must be comfortable handling both species, of all sizes and temperaments. The ideal candidates will be highly motivated, exceptionally organized, able to work independently. Experience volunteering or working for an animal shelter is a plus!
To be considered for these roles, please email résumé and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications submitted without both of these items will not be considered. No phone calls, please.
Spay / Neuter Veterinarian:
Heartland Animal Shelter is seeking a part-time veterinarian to add to our surgical team! Schedule is flexible and 4-8 hours per week are available.
We are seeking a spay/neuter veterinarian to perform surgeries on our resident cats and dogs once per week. The option to perform specialty surgeries is available as well, but is not essential. Applicants must be comfortable handling both species, of all sizes and temperaments.
A high-volume, Humane Alliance / ASPCA Spay/Neuter Alliance trained veterinarian is preferred but not required.
To be considered for these roles, please email résumé, cover letter and salary requirements to: email@example.com. No phone calls, please.
No other positions are open at this time. To inquire about other positions not listed above, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org