Become a Volunteer
Thank you for considering volunteering at Heartland Animal Shelter!
To become a volunteer, you must first fill out a Volunteer Application and then either:
- Attend an in-person orientation in our training hall (recommended)
- Complete an online orientation and assessment
The next in-person volunteer orientation dates are*:
- Wednesday, January 15th at 6:15 p.m.
- Saturday, January 25th at 4:15 p.m.
- Saturday, February 29th at 4:15 p.m.
- Saturday, March 28th at 4:15 p.m.
- Saturday, April 25th at 4:15 p.m.
- Saturday, May 30th at 4:15 p.m.
- Saturday, June 27th at 4:15 p.m.
*New volunteer orientation sessions last for 45-60 minutes and are typically the last Saturday of each month, except where noted otherwise.
Advance registration is not required to attend a new volunteer orientation session, please just come to Heartland Animal Shelter during one of the above listed times. For questions regarding the orientation, please email us.
All volunteers must be at least 16 years of age and those under 18 years of age will be required to attend the in-person orientation with a parent or legal guardian who will sign a Waiver and Release of Liability for the child volunteer. Minors ages 16 and 17 cannot complete their new volunteer orientation online.
If you are assigned court-ordered community service or are with a corporate or community group, please contact the Volunteer Coordinator for more information on available opportunities.
Please read about all the volunteer opportunities we have available!